Every MAC user should know how to crop a screenshot on Mac because it’s one of the most essential parts to deal with a screenshot on Mac. It’s for something to clarify.
Most Mac users use tools to take screenshots. Sometimes they need to go further. Yes, people now can do lots of things on a taken screenshot like editing, cropping, filtering, and many more. Doing all these things is a bit easy for the Windows user but the Mac user cannot do it in such a way.
A screenshot can describe a thousand words. Cropping is just like that and makes us free to share it with different people.
Cropping a screenshot on a Mac can be done in many ways but what are they? Don’t worry, all the solution is here.
What is Screenshot and how to crop a screenshot on MAC?
There is nothing special to clarify about the screenshot. This popular way of sharing pictures and taking the portion of the current screen gained popularity in a short time.
Read More: How to Counter Common Mac Performance Issues?
Not only Windows users but also Mac users also massively use this tool. It’s true, based on the necessity people need to customize the screenshot like cropping a specific point of the screenshot.
In this case, Mac users face some difficulties. Because they might know how to take a screenshot but they don’t know how to crop a screenshot on mac.
What Are The Keyboard Shortcut for Taking Mac Screenshots?
People love to use the Mac keyboard shortcuts for taking a screenshot. It not only saves time but also works as a fun tool. Before you know the way of cropping a screenshot you must know how to take it.
It’s true, Mac allows different ways to do that. People look for the quickest way as well. If you are running macOS Mojave and later then there is good news for you.
A built-in screenshot cropping tool is now available on your OS. Let’s find out how to take a screenshot first.
Shift + Command + 3:
This shortcut used to take the screenshot of the whole screen on a mac
Shift + Command + 4:
To take a screenshot of a part of the screen, use this keyboard shortcut
Shift + Command + 4 + Space bar:
To capture the window or menu, use this shortcut from the mac keyboard.
To open the screenshot toolbar to take a screenshot, use this keyboard.
How To Crop a Screenshot on Mac?
After taking the screenshot successfully, you might need to cut out some parts of the screenshot. People use this method to hide some sensitive information or try to keep the necessary portion of the screenshot. Let’s find out how many ways there are to crop a screenshot on mac.
- Basic Method (Default)
- Cropping a screenshot with Grab
- Cropping a screenshot on mac with keyboard commands
Method 1: Cropping screenshot on mac using third party application
Most of the time you need to cut the screenshot. For that, Mac users use the Vidmore Screen Recorder. Using this third-party app, users can easily crop, edit, share and manage the screenshot on mac. Follow the steps to complete the process.
- Download and install the Vidmore Screen Recorder and launch it.
- From the main interface, choose Screen Capture.
- Now there will be a popup window and left-click the mouse to confirm the area you want to capture as a screenshot.
- Use the drawing tool or cropping to crop the screenshot or draw something on it.
- Now you can copy the screenshot directly to the clipboard. Just click the copy button directly and the screenshot will pin to the screen.
- On the other hand, click on the save button to save it directly on your mac.
Method 2: Crop Screenshot on Mac with Grab
Most of the average Mac users use Grab to take screenshots and crop. Even they use it to take time-delayed screenshots as well.
For the macOS Catalina user, the process is much easier, like using the keyboard shortcut Command + Shift + 5. Let’s check all the following steps to do it.
- From the Launchpad open Grab.
- If you didn’t find it in your Launchpad then go to the application folder and boom! Here it is.
- On the dock, Grab’s menu bar will appear.
- There are different options available like Selection, Window, or Time Screen. Use these options to crop the screenshot.
- Now it’s time to save. From the drop-down list, click on the Save button. It will export the cropped screenshot as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF on your mac.
Method 3: Crop Screenshot on Mac With Keyboard Commands
Now come to the main method that every Mac user wants to know and that is cropping screenshots using a keyboard command. This shortcut is for immediate action.
Even the captured screenshot will be saved on your mac automatically. After that, users can use any photo editing app to crop or edit the screenshot easily. Follow the steps I’ve said below and get your job done with a screenshot.
- Press Shift + Command + 3
- This keyboard combination will click a thumbnail of your current mac screen as a screenshot.
- Look at the corner of the screenshot and click there to edit it.
- This screenshot will appear on the mac screen.
- Now it’s time to crop and press Shift+Command+4
- Drag the crosshair.
- Set screen capture area.
- Release the mouse or trackpad.
- See, the selected portion of the screenshot has been cropped automatically and saved to mac.
As a Mac user, you must know every tip and trick to make the user experience much better. It is even true when you are taking the screenshot.
After taking the screenshot on the mac there are lots of unusual things added to it like the menu bar of the dock and other information.
Maybe you don’t want to see them in your captured screenshot. But it becomes a difficult task when you don’t have any idea how to crop it.
That’s why you need to know how to crop a screenshot on Mac properly. This review is all about the method, tips, and tricks that you must know as a mac user.